Any which way you put it, nobody likes moving. Whether you are moving down the road or across the country, moving can be a exhausting and at time stressful for everyone. The acts of packing everything you own, just to unpack it all a day or two later instantly drains all of us.
There is a silver lining however….it’s the tingling feeling our clients tell us they get when they’re moving into their FIRST NEW HOME. The process suddenly is replaced from dreading to thrill and excitement.
Our Silver Lake Real Estate Agents often tell our clients, one of the simplest ways to overcome the stress of moving is by properly being organized with a check list. This can be completed with the creation of a pre-moving checklist to aid you in staying focused and keep you on track before the big day comes.
Attention to Detail Moving has prepared a shot pre-move checklist that many of their clients enjoyed using.
Here is a quick pre-move checklist that we feel would help even the most experienced mover to the first time movers.
- Our Silver Lake Realtors advice you do your due diligence and do you research and receive a free moving estimate from at least three or more moving companies. For accurate quotes, our Silver Lake Real Estate Agents suggest you be sure to ask for an in-home assessment.
- Start to think about packing supplies, like boxes, packing tape, and bubble wrap will be needed for your move. Packing supplies can add up quickly. Assign a room in your home to begin storing and organizing boxes and materials.
- Sell, donate, or recycle any items you no longer want or need. Yard sales are a great way to make a little money selling your old stuff. One mans trash is another’s treasure and the money can go toward moving cost.
- A handful of people forget to send a change of address notification to businesses, publications, friends, etc. Be sure to do this about a week before your move. You can also visit the official USPS website to make a change of address online.
- Most importantly, our Silver Lake Realtors suggest you , make sure to contact your utility company to schedule a date for turning on the electric, gas, and water in your new place and to turn off water in your current place. Same can be said about cable and internet.
- If you happen to have kids or pets, set up their care in ahead of time. It is a good idea to take your pet to your new home before the big day.
- If you have children and your new home is in a new school district, our Silver Lake Realtors recommend you make sure to contact your child’s school for the proper transfer information.
- The day before your move, clear out the freezer and promptly defrost it. Also, be sure all garbage and trash cans in your home are emptied and cleaned out for the next residents.
- Contact a cleaning company to schedule a home cleaning for your new home prior to arriving.
- A majority of Silver Lake Real Estate Agents suggest that you create a moving folder with your pre-moving checklist which includes an inventory of all your items.